PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Director of Charitable Giving is responsible for achieving strategic philanthropic and community partnership goals by implementing strategies for the identification and cultivation of new donors for the Community Foundation. This position is responsible for planned giving activities, cultivating ongoing relationships with private and national foundations, professional advisors and community partners including individuals, businesses, nonprofits, and civic organizations. The Director is also responsible for working collaboratively with our Community Impact team, the Donor Relations team, and other departments within the organization.
Fundraising l Planned Giving | Accountability/Dependability | Building Community Relationships |Presenting Information | Strategic Planning & Organizing| Results Focus & Initiative
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for researching, writing, and developing proposals or concept papers to increase fundraising efforts and expand community collaborations with appropriate partners that drive impact in Palm Beach and Martin Counties.
- Monitors legislation for changes made to laws/provisions related to charitable giving.
- Basic to advanced knowledge of planned/ legacy planning strategies.
- Works with Director of Marketing & Communications to develop strategies and professional materials that appeal to professional advisors.
- Develop and implement outreach strategies to expand relationships with professional advisors including trust and estate professionals, corporate attorney’s, financial advisors/wealth managers, CPA’s, and other advisors who work with private family foundations and family offices.
- Manage a comprehensive portfolio of professional advisors, private foundations, and individuals.
- Create and implement a comprehensive prospecting plan that aligns with our strategic focus areas.
- Represent the Community Foundation throughout Palm Beach and Martin counties which will require local travel.
- Collaborate with Donor Relations Officer on externally facing relationships with our non-profit partners to enhance the goals of the team.
- Track prospects and donor engagement activities through Community Foundation’s internal database system.
- Research foundations and prospects in Donor Search that align with priorities and create a plan to qualify and cultivate the relationships on behalf of community impact and fundraising.
- Represents the Community Foundation at a variety of community events and professional associations.
- Conducts a minimum of five to seven donor or prospect meetings per week.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of five years of experience working within the fundraising and community development industry preferred although business development/sales will also be considered. Knowledge of best practices in fundraising and the ability to facilitate complex grant proposals is also preferred. Demonstrated ability to raise substantial funds from individuals, businesses, private foundations and other potential contributors is highly desired. Demonstrated experience in leading efforts to improve the quality of life for communities in Palm Beach and Martin Counties in also preferred. Planned giving experience required. Strong written and public speaking skills will be required.
A self-starter who enjoys cultivating new relationships; ability to gain the confidence and respect of donors and professional advisors; mature judgment; high integrity; approachable and comfortable initiating conversations with professional advisors and donors; ability to understand complex issues; creative problem solver; critical thinker; strong written communication skills and the ability to work one-on-one with donors or make a formal presentations to large groups; the ability to listen and find connections between donor needs/interests and giving strategies; experience working with volunteer committees, boards and donors; well-organized; resourceful; motivated; ability to multi-task; excellent interpersonal and customer service skills; strong computer skills; willingness to seek ongoing training and/or professional certificate(s) to maintain and improve current skills and knowledge.
SEND COVER LETTER & RESUME TO:
Mary Katherine Morales
Sr. Director for Development and Foundation Philanthropy