Title: Charitable Giving Officer
Date: August 2019
Reports to: Vice President for Philanthropic Giving
Purpose of Position
The Charitable Giving Officer is responsible for achieving development goals by creating and implementing strategies for identification and cultivation of new Community Foundation fund holders. This position is responsible for cultivating ongoing relationships with professional advisors and for (establishing new funds from) individuals, businesses, private foundations, nonprofits and civic organizations. The Charitable Giving Officer is also responsible for facilitating the annual appeal for gifts into the Operating Fund as well as securing non-cash and planned gifts.
- Relationship Building
- Training /Presenting Information
- Planning & Organizing
- Results Focus & Initiative
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists with the development and achievement of annual and long-range development goals.
- Creates and implements a comprehensive prospecting plan (including private foundation outreach, professional advisor referrals, prospecting events, etc.).
- Co-leads the anniversary campaign efforts.
- Represents the Community Foundation throughout Palm Beach and Martin counties which will require travel and dedicating at least one day per week to an offsite visits.
- Facilitates new funds.
- Implements Professional Advisor outreach activities including events and monthly communication.
- Manages the Philanthropic Advisory Council.
- Manages prospective nonprofit funds.
- Coordinates the annual support campaign for gifts into the Operating Fund, including direct mail, board gifts and new event sponsorships.
- Promotes and facilitates planned gifts from new donors and professional advisors.
- Maintains a process for tracking prospects and donor engagement activities through Community Foundation’s internal database system (Raisers Edge).
- Works with Director of Marketing & Communications to develop strategies and supporting materials for prospects and professional advisors.
- Ensures that the Community Foundation meets the highest standards of prompt response and accurate information to assist donors and advisors.
- Represents the Community Foundation at a variety of community events and professional associations.
- Conducts a minimum of five development related meetings/calls per week.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of five years of experience working within the professional advisor industry (tax, wealth advisory, financial planning, legal, trusts or banking) preferred although fundraising experience or business development/sales will also be considered. Knowledge of planned giving vehicles and the ability to facilitate complex gift transactions is also preferred. Demonstrated ability to raise substantial funds from individuals, businesses, private foundations and other potential contributors is highly desired. Strong written and public speaking skills will be required.
A self-starter who enjoys cultivating new relationships; ability to gain the confidence and respect of donors and professional advisors; mature judgment; high integrity; approachable and comfortable initiating conversations with professional advisors and donors; ability to understand complex issues; creative problem solver; critical thinker; strong written communication skills and the ability to work one-on-one with donors or make a formal presentations to large groups; the ability to listen and find connections between donor needs/interests and giving strategies; experience working with volunteer committees, boards and donors; well-organized; resourceful; motivated; ability to multi-task; excellent interpersonal and customer service skills; strong computer skills; willingness to seek ongoing training and/or professional certificate(s) to maintain and improve current skills and knowledge.
Excellent writing, proofreading and critical thinking skills. Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to effectively present information to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization. Excellent telephone and customer service skills.
Proven ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously, set priorities, handles numerous responsibilities, and work both independently and in a team environment. Adaptable attitude, attention to detail, organized self-starter, and creative. Able to interface well with a variety of people. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hand to finger, handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The Employer is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, The Employer will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the Employer.
Purpose of Position
The Director of Marketing and Communications develops and executes a marketing and communications program to build and sustain awareness of the Foundation and its charitable services to current and prospective donors, professional advisors, nonprofit organizations and community partners throughout Palm Beach and Martin counties. They are responsible for working closely with the Development and Community Impact teams for the production of all online and offline marketing materials and strategies and all public relations strategies.
- Strategic Leadership
- Technical Ability
- Training/Presenting Information
- Results Focus & Initiative
- Relationship Building
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Develop and implement an effective marketing and communications strategy that creates a superior stakeholder experience, builds the Community Foundation’s brand and enables the organization to achieve its key objectives.
- Reinforce the Community Foundation’s voice and ensure cohesive messaging throughout the organization and community.
- Create, produce and distribute effective engagement materials (e.g. brochures, email campaigns, annual reports, newsletters, press releases and website collateral) for the Community Foundation’s donors, grantees, partners and other stakeholders.
- Collaborate with Development Team to:
- Support all Community Foundation events by creating marketing materials, assisting with speeches and presentations as needed.
- Support with efforts towards professional advisors, planned giving, donor relations and other activities as outlined in the strategic plan.
- Design annual support campaign strategies as well as the larger campaign efforts.
- Collaborate with Community Impact to:
- Share impactful stories of community partnerships and grantee achievements.
- Announce funding opportunities, convenings, workshops and community initiatives.
- Support with messaging, branding and public relations for leadership initiatives.
- Manage and create content for the Community Foundations online platforms including the website, social media channels and other electronic communications.
- Develop and execute a media relations strategy to raise awareness of the Community Foundation and its grantees with a localized awareness.
- Cultivate media contacts; identify opportunities to promote the Foundation to build awareness; and prepare the President, Board Chair and other key staff members for media interviews, as needed.
- Develop and track metrics and success criteria for all marketing programs.
- Manage third-party agencies to build the Community Foundation’s brand.
- Develop and manage the Community Foundation’s marketing and communications budget.
- Develop and manage the Foundation’s advertising plan and schedule, including booking space; monitoring deadlines; and submitting final artwork.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Four-year college degree in Marketing or Communications related field.
- Three or more years of experience as a marketing professional serving in communication and marketing roles or within related fields. Experience in philanthropy, development, events management and the nonprofit sector strongly preferred.
- Three or more years of experience in a supervisory/management position, including developing and managing departmental or organizational budgets.
- Extensive experience using AP style and developing content and human-interest stories.
- A proven, superior editor and writer with the ability to understand and write about complex information
- Extensive experience in direct marketing, general communications, public/media relations, advertising, online marketing, and event marketing
- Demonstrated graphic design knowledge including strong proficiencies in InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
- Extensive experience managing digital and social channels and email marketing.
- Ability to interact with broad spectrum of people including board and staff members, donors, nonprofit and community leaders, media representatives and vendors
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects, deadlines and competing priorities within budget
- Ability to articulate a vision and strategy that’s inspiring and motivating to achieve goals
Excellent benefits. Salary commensurate with experience. The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. To apply, visit our website and submit a detailed cover letter summarizing your experience and qualifications and include a resume to https://www.yourcommunityfoundation.org/About-us/Careers. Resumes may also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls accepted.